Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Poetic Justice?

I'm a little hesitant to use such a title for this particular entry but, under the circumstances, I think it might actually be appropriate.

I took Gabby down to her school this morning to pick up a copy of her schedule and possibly meet some of her teachers, if she had any new ones this year. Because her school is so small, most of the students already know all the teachers, even if they've never had a class with that particular teacher. As it turns out, Gabby will be taking *two* science and *two* math classes this year, along with Spanish 2, American History, Interior Design, Parenting, and some sort of ACT Prep class that appears to be "worked in between" two of her classes. Personally, I am very happy with this schedule...for the most part. What this schedule shows me, is that Gabby was wrong about the school converting elective credtis into core credits. She failed two semesters of science and wasn't even phased by this because she was so sure that the school was going to turn one of her electives into a science credit, making it irrelevent whether she passed science or not. Apparently, the school would rather she take science over again, which she is. I am not happy at the fact that she failed science last year, but I *am* happy with the fact that she will still need to learn that science. She will be in the same "Physical Science" class that she was last year, with the same teacher, and most of the students in that class will be freshmen. Gabby is now a sophomore. She is also in remedial math (again!) like she was last year because she repeatedly scores low on her standardized tests. I am unable to help her in math, and she refuses to let her father help her, so instead she just does poorly on the tests and gets stuck in another remedial class. Her lack of motivation is incredible. And speaking of a lack of motivation, this will be the first official year that she will be allowed to legally drop out of school. She has complained to me enough times about how much she hates school in general. Combine that with the fact that she hates her particular school, has difficulty making and keeping friends, swears all her teachers are "out to get" her, and has actually "joked" about dropping out before....it's enough to make a mother nervous. Gabby is very athletic and enjoys basketball a great deal. However, all of the athletic classes were omitted from her schedule this year. Why? Because she has to make up too many core classes so basketball doesn't fit into her schedule this year. Gabby is extremely upset but, and here is where the poetic justice comes in, she had this coming to her when she decided that school was not important enough to take seriously. She is no longer allowed to participate in her favorite activity because she was so confident that the school would just allow her to coast through without passing science or, evidently, math. I had been trying to tell her that something bad was going to happen to her one day because of her lack of effort. She chose to ignore my advice because, well, what do I know about high school? After all, I was only required to take each class only once, so I guess that doesn't qualify me as an expert in the field. Perhaps if I'd had to repeat multiple subjects like she is having to do, then maybe she'd take me more seriously. Then again, perhaps it's just her age. Being sixteen years old, doesn't that mean she already knows everything? But wait.....if she already knows everything, perhaps I actually have a genius, a child prodigy, on my hands and I just don't realize it yet! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

3 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

I honestly do not look forward to that age at all. I know I was a pain starting at age 12 and probably through college (per my mom). Of course, I don't agree with her that I was pain through college. She was the pain to me during college! :) But, we are definitely very close now, more so since Annabelle was born and I'm not "working" as much.

I didn't realize that kids could drop out of school at the age of 16.

Make sure she knows just how very fast she'll have to grow up if she drops out of high school or doesn't go to college. The responsibility of feeding and clothing yourself and paying your own bills is not quite as much fun as still being a teenager with the only job "required" being that of studying and going to class.

I loved my college days! Looking back, they were so care free!

I'll definitely keep Gabby in my prayers though in hopes that she'll stick it out for the long haul!

I had one friend that told me (during college) that she didn't really know why she was there because she "just wanted to have babies and stay home one day with them." I told her that she was better to get her degree and make something of herself now because she never knew the cards she would be dealt. What if she got married, had babies and her husband lost his job? Or worst, what if something terrible happened to her husband? How would she support a family without the help of the main bread winner? Of course, I guess there is always life and disability insurance for that, but it is really hard to afford the insurance that you really need. I still remember her saying "That is a great point!" She stuck it out, got her degree, worked for awhile, and now she is also a stay-at-home mommy to a beautiful little 6 month old.

Jodi said...

Yes, unfortunately, kids can drop out of school at 16, and I believe that is all over the country...in every state. Gabby made another comment yesterday that made me think she was thinking of dropping out. I just get so nervous when she talks like that and I really don't know to what extent she thinks these things.

This really is a tough age for kids....and parents....to have to go through. I honestly believe Gabby is being influenced by her peers into thinking unrealistic things about life (dropping out is cool because you get to leave school forever and start making money!) and that college is just an extention of high school, which is already a waste of time. I already "know" that Gabby will not be going to college. I can't think of a single college that would even accept her at this point. Even community colleges have GPA requirements. I'm just concentrating on getting her through high school without any more talk of dropping out. UGH! I'm not ready to be the parent of a teenager! Where have all the years gone?!? I keep telling myself that things will be different with Annabelle. She will not be subjected to the same kinds of peer pressure and immoral behavior (from her friends) that Gabby is.

I totally agree with you about getting a college degree and then staying home if you choose to do so. That is essentially what I have done, too. I have the degree and can go to work if I want to, but I am fortunate enough that I don't need to. Things are financially tight for us with only my husband working, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in order to stay at home with my baby.

Mommy Belle said...

It is very tough on only one income. I went shopping today for some work clothes since I have been going to the office one day a week (and my parent's have been watching Annabelle), but I amazed at what clothes cost. I guess I had just forgotten with not working at all what the true expense of working can be. I even went to some consigment stores, but I passed up on buying anything because I just couldn't justify it! I have clothes to wear to work and they will do for now. The only thing I really "needed" were some new shoes because my work shoes were so raggedy, and I've been wearing them since before I was pregnant with Annabelle. I've almost slipped and fell in the rain several times, so I thought it was time to buy some new shoes! :)

But, like you said, we have been very fortunate and blessed for me to be able to stay home.

Sometimes I think of these things I really "want" such as the really cute clothes, but I have to remind myself that it is worth so much more to have this precious time with Annabelle.

Unfortunately, I am afraid that it is going to be more and more difficult for women to stay home one day because people are so used to living off of dual-incomes that, in my opinion, it increases the price. For example, I think houses gradually became more and more expensive because two adults were working and could afford more expensive homes. That really is a shame! I do hope that Annabelle will be able to enjoy her children one day as much as I have enjoyed her!