Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How'd She Figure That Out?

I am absolutely amazed at how my little girl is growing and changing every day. I love to just sit and watch her play...and it tickles me to see her figure things out on her own. I am, however, a bit surprised at her latest tactic.

Whenever I am doing any sort of "kitchen chore" like dishes or cooking dinner, I put Annabelle in her excersaucer and place her in the kitchen here with me. She can observe me cooking or cleaning from a safe distance and I don't have to worry about her getting hurt or burned. Lately, however, I've noticed that she likes to flail herself around in her excersaucer. She throws her body back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. She has pretty good self control so I was, at first, a bit surprised at her lack of bodily control while in the excersaucer. Then one day while I'm fixing dinner I turned around and nearly tripped over the excersaucer that was directly behind my legs. Hmmmmm, that's not where I set it. So I pushed Annabelle back to where she was before (a safer distance from the hot oven) and continued to cook.

Then it happened again. This time I was setting the table when I hear her flailing around, back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I turned around and BAM! she's right there. I smile at her, tickle her a bit, then push her back so I can finish setting the table.

Then it happened again. I was fixing dinner again when she started flailing around. Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I didn't realize how close she was to me until I took a step sideways and realized my leg was "caught" on something. I look down and see that my little girl had a firm grip on my pant leg and wasn't letting go. Then it hit me.....she was "walking" over to see her mommy! She wanted to be near me and this was her way of coming over to see me! My heart melted! I still can't believe that she figured this out....that if she throws her body back and forth enough times that the excersaucer will slide right across the tile floor. She really amazes me!

2 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

That is so sweet! It is amazing the things they learn to do and so quickly too.

Unknown said...

babies love their mommies and it's the greatest feeling in the world to be loved