Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mommy's Melted Heart

Annabelle is at that age where she says the cutest things. My mother loves to teach her funny new phrases, and she picks up all kinds of things from the cartoons she watches.

Last week when I was putting Annabelle to bed (I stay in the room with her for awhile until one of two things happen, either 1)she falls asleep or 2)I get tired of waiting for her to fall asleep and I leave.) All of a sudden I hear:

"Knock knock!"

I pause, unsure of what my little girl has just said to me. Then, a few seconds later:

"Knock knock!"

Just for giggle, I respond:

"Who's there?"

"Oven." Huh?? Oven?? OK, I'll play along.

"Oven who?"

Then I hear something incoherent followed by excited giggling.

Well, later on that night I explained to hubby what was going on with the apparent Knoch Knock joke and he knew right away what I was talking about. The joke appears to be from one of the cartoons that Annabelle watches regularly (Super Why) and the joke, when said correctly, goes like this:

"Knock knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Ivan."
"Ivan Who?"
"Ivan Working on the Railroad!"

This joke makes Annabelle giggle in such a cute way and, although she can now pronounce "Ivan" much more clearly, she still can't control the giggles long enough to say the punchline. So now, every night when I put her to bed, we go through the Knock Knock routine:

Annabelle: "Knock Knock!"
Mommy: "Who's there?"
Annabelle: "Ivan."
Mommy: "Ivan Who?"
Annabelle: uncontrollable giggles

It is absolutely adorable and just melts my heart!


Tonight, shortly before bedtime, Annabelle ran into the bathroom, crawled up onto the toilet and from there, onto the bathroom counter and then plopped her little tushy into the sink so she could sit there and look at herself in the mirror. This is her normal routine and is expected. She stares at herself and babbles, and carries on conversations with her reflection. Tonight she looked into the mirror and told herself, "Mommy is my best friend."

Can somebody help me mop my heart up off the floor?











No comments: