Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Getting Ready for Christmas

We finally got our Christmas tree up the other day. It's only partially decorated at this point, but at least it's up. We have an artificial tree that my husband & bought the year after we were married. Since we were married on Christmas Eve, we didn't bother buying a tree that year, but went ahead and waited until the following year to purchase the mammoth tree that is now in our living room. It's a much bigger tree than I had intended it to be, but with my total ineptitude at numbers, my mind couldn't register just how tall a 9 foot tree would be. I thought that was a standard size for a Christmas tree. Well, the corner of the living room that I had specially picked out for this tree would no longer do.....no, this 9 foot tall tree was way too tall to fit in that cozy little corner. So the only other place for this tree to fit was smack dab in the middle of the living room. It's at lest up against a wall, but as soon as you walk into our house - BAM! - the tree is RIGHT THERE. It's a pretty tree, that's not the issue, I'm just a little overwhelmed every year at the size of the darned thing! We have a beautiful angel that goes on the top of the tree which is, of course, a challenge to get up there and when we finally do manage to get her up there, her head hits the top of our ceiling. Yeah, it's a big tree!

And with it being December, that means it's also time for me to dig my favorite Christmas movies out of the DVD cabinet. I've been watching "A Christmas Story" quite a bit lately, sympathizing with little Ralphie as he goes on his quest to acquire the coveted Red Rider 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle. My favorite Christmas movie of all time is most definitely "Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase. I just can't get enough of that movie! Unfortunately, my version of this movie is the European one and requires a special DVD player (or my laptop) to watch it, and my "special" DVD player is currently out of commission. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can fix it but if not, then I'll have to just keep watching it on my laptop. That's OK, though, because I can still watch little Ralphie, as well as the other fun favorites we have like "Jingle All the Way", "Scrooged", "Mixed Nuts", "Christmas With the Kranks" and, of course, all the fun animated classics with Rudolph, Santa, and Charlie Brown.

Some of my favorite Christmas rituals remain steady year after year. In addition to the obvious rituals of putting up a tree, buying presents, etc., there are the personal rituals that I derive such pleasure from: holiday portraits, candy cane and evergreen scented Christmas candles, special gingerbread and "nutcracker" flavored hot teas, candy cane flavored hot chocolate, and the incredible assortment of international Christmas delicacies that can only be purchased this time of year. I always look to Europe when purchasing yummy Christmas goodies, with Germany being at the very tippy top of my list. I love the German Christmas Stollen! In case anybody is unfamiliar with this yummy treat, it is a type of bread (not very sweet) with a heavy powdered sugar coating all over the outside of it. It's sweet because of the powdered sugar, but the bread itself is not sweet, but rather somewhat dry. It's not too terribly dry, but it's most definitely not a "moist" (like banana) bread. It can be found with or without raisins, but I like to purchase the Stollen with raisins in it, because then my older daughter won't touch it, and that means more for me! :-) Another favorite of mine is the German Lebkuchen, which is actually an acquired taste. I used to hate Lebkuchen when I was younger, but I've developed a taste for it over the years. It's a spicy gingerbread cookie and can be purchased plain, or coated in chocolate. I simply don't like the chocolate ones, I don't know why. The chocolate always tastes funny to me, but the plain ones are outstanding! Unfortunately, the plain ones are never sold by themselves, they are always (or so I've only found up to this point) sold in a variety pack with the chocolate coated ones. My daughter doesn't really like the gingerbread, but she loves the chocolate, so sometimes if I have these chocolate coated Lebkuchen, she'll pick off (and eat) the chocolate coating, then leave me the naked gingerbread cookie. It works for us. This past year we had a German exchange student (Gloria) for the benefit of my older daughter, Gabby, and Gloria brought me a new German treat called "Wibele" (pronounced "VEE-buh-luh"), which came with the recipe, so I might try to make it this year. Wibele is a snack-like treat, small, sweet, crunchy nuggets that look (at first glance) like dry cereal (or cat food, depending on your point of view!), but with much smaller nuggets. They actually even have a dry-cereal kind of taste to them as well. They're pretty good and if anybody wants the recipe, feel free to let me know. They look very easy to make, but are possibly somewhat time-consuming due to the tiny size of the nuggets. Remember those "Candy Dots" that came attached to the paper that are peeled off the paper and eaten? The Wibele are approximately that small, but I'm thinking they can probably be made a bit bigger, but I won't guarantee that.

One of the best pasts of having a baby is the beautiful portraits and fun snapshots that we either take or have taken of our little angels. Christmas is an especially fun time to have portraits taken and this year, being Annabelle's first Christmas, was an especially fun time for us. I took her down yesterday and got her portraits taken, but didn't actually purchase very many of the portraits themselves. Instead, I purchased a CD with all the poses on it, as well as the full copyright for all the pictures. So I now own the full rights to every single one of these pictures, and will purchase paper copies of them sometime after Christmas when our finances are a little better. Of course, I'm probably going to have to sell my car now, just to make up for the cost of this copyright release, but in my opinion it is worth it. I just *LOVE* photographers who sell me their copyrights! I was playing around on Photo Shop last night, and here's one of Annabelle's portraits the "normal" way (after I zoomed in and cropped some of the excess stuff out of it) and then that same picture, as it would have looked if it had been taken 100 years ago:





My mother is really into antiques and old-time things, and she actually has a couple of very old portraits that she found in various antique shops. I'm thinking of getting that old-timey portrait of Annabelle printed out and giving it to her for Christmas. I know she'd love it. I'm just wondering if it looks "real" enough to be an antique?!

If I could find a Christmas card that said something to the effect of: "Showing You a Little Love this Christmas", then this is definitely the portrait that I would put with it:

Annabelle was constantly lifting up her dress and, in that portrait (left), she did it right before the picture was snapped. I think it's adorable! And then below are a few more of the (38) portraits we had taken. I won't post all 38 portraits, as I find that somewhat cruel to the friends who are kind enough to sit and read all my ramblings! So here are a couple of the cuter ones:




Hmmm, does anybody know if Photo Shop can remove the background images? I'm trying to remove some of the background scenery and turn it into just a plain colored background, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Does anybody know if this is even possible, or am I wasting my time trying to figure it out when it can't even be done?

Annabelle and I are still reading "James and the Giant Peach" and were are at the point where the peach has come crashing down to earth. The people below, thinking the peach is actually a bomb coming to destroy them, have run for cover while the peach, tumbling furiously down, has just lodged itself onto the spiked needle-top of the Empire State Building. Oooh, it's getting exciting! What will happen next? We've also worked a few Flash Books ("The Sun" and "My Umbrella") and had a little mini-lesson about how rainbows are formed. Annabelle seemed really into it....or maybe it was just Mommy's undivided attention that Annabelle really loved. She is such a fun baby! How blessed we are to have her!

8 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

Very cute pics! You can use Photoshop Elements to remove the background. I only have Photoshop Elements though...is that what you're using.

The way I'd recommend is not the easiest, but it works. I am sure that there has got to be a better way, but I just haven't found it yet! Anyhow, you can try using the smudge tool and then smudge the background you like (say the blue) over the props in the background. You can also "cut" pictures and paste them in a different layout using the magnetic lasso tool, but this has a different effect on it. Hope that helps! Let me know if you find out how to remove the background a little easier though. I would love to know too.

We're actually right around the same chapter in "James and the Giant Peach." It has been a good book to read. I've enjoyed it, and I think Annabelle has too.

Mommy Belle said...

And, I think the antique picture looks great too! I am sure it would print well too. Some pictures look really awesome printed in sepia and/or black and white.

I haven't tried using this website yet, but a guy my husband works with that is really into photography uses myphotopipe.com. We are planning to use them for some photos to see how they turn out. From their website, it looks their pictures may turn out a little more professional when printed. And, they are pretty reasonable (even compared to places like Sam's and Costco). I'll let you know how we like them once we use them.

Oh, and Santa Cow is coming on December 15th to the Chick-fil-A nearest us, so I think we may try to go as well!

I need to get her to see Santa Claus before the schools let out!

Unknown said...

the pics are so cute and i never thought of comparing the price for the copyrights to the actual prints...oh well, i've sworn off paying other people for portraits but should i ever venture back i'll consider that.

as for editing... i don't know what exactly you have but you might want to try using the clone tool. it takes some practice but is worth knowing how to use. you can paint over the background with another part of the picture (like the white that she's sitting on). i use it a lot in editing out things i don't want to see. there's also the dodge tool that will white out the background. hope that helps

Jodi said...

For stay-at-home mom: I don't actually have the actual "Photoshop" program, I have Nero, which I believe is essentially the same thing. I can crop, do the sepia and black-and-white thing, make it look like canvas, make it look like a negative, etc. I just haven't been able to figure out how to use the smudge tool yet. I see the little eraser on there, but it doesn't seem to want to move when I click on it. I can't move the paintbrush either, and I can't figure out why. Basically, I can change the color of everything or nothing at this point. It's frustrating, but I'll keep at it. Yes, please let me know how the myphotopipe.com works out. I'd like to find a place where I can get professional portraits printed out on professional quality paper.

I'm glad you're enjoying "JAmes and the Giant Peach". Annabelle & I are loving it too! :-)

For Jodi: Copyrights are awesome! I love photographers who will sell them to me! Not very many photographers will actually sell their copyrights, but I am forever asking them to. It just makes it easier for me because I am so indecisive and usually regret my initial purchase of portraits...I didn't buy enough of this or that pose, or I just flat out didn't buy enough sheets to send to all my family members, etc. Reprints are usually more expensive than the original purchase price, and are a hassle to boot. Copyrights eliminate all that mess and allow me to just pay one obnoxious price up front, and then I don't have to worry any more about the high cost of the actual prints. Actually, all things considered, I do think the obnoxious price for copyrights is always a pretty fair price, considering what I'm getting and what the photographer is losing.

As for the clone tool, do you know if that is on Nero? I do want to change the entire background and make it all one solid color. I just think one of the backgrounds (the one with the park bench) makes it look like my baby is sitting in the middle of the street. The background looked pretty hanging on the wall, but I don't like it with my daughter in front of it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Penny said...

Hi -

I have been desperately trying to find a recipe for Wibele and came across your blog using a key word search. It sounds like you may have received a recipe last Christmas and I was hoping you may be kind enough to share. My mother grew up eating these in Germany but they are very difficult to find and I would love to suprise her with a batch.

Thanks!
Penny

Jodi said...

Hi Penny!

It seems I have no way to contact you directly, so I hope you get this response. YES, I would be very happy to share my Wibele recipe with you! Do you want it in English or German? The weights and measurements are all in the metric (grams and stuff) so I'll let you convert those if you need to (I'll get it wrong if I try!) but I can translate it if you need me to, or I can send it as it is. Please let me know! :-)

Penny said...

Annabelle's Mom -

Thank you SO much for being willing to share your recipe. If you would be kind enough to send it in English, that would be great - I will do my best with the measurements :)

Can you please send it to my email address at penny.johnson@usa.net?

Thank you again for responding so quickly - I can't wait to give it a try!!

All the best,
Penny