Wednesday, March 25, 2009
R.I.P. Steeler (June 14, 1996 - March 25, 2009)
Losing a loved one is always hard and it is something that we never completely recover from. Even when our loved one has four legs and and a tail, the loss is no less devastating. This morning when I woke up, I began my daily ritual with baby and dogs. Steeler was diabetic and arthritic, with limited vision and hearing. He was on a special diet, so I began every morning by preparing his food. As soon as he heard his dry dog food hit the bottom of his metal dish, he would come running and would be constantly under foot until his meal was finished. Then he would race me to the bathroom, where he ate his meals every morning and every evening (this way I could shut the door and not worry about a baby or animal getting in there and interrupting his meal!) After each meal, every dog would get a Milkbone (Steeler was special, so I always gave him two!) and then I gave Steeler his insulin injection. It was a good routine. This morning, however, Steeler didn't come running at the 'kerplunk' of his food falling into the dog bowl. I found his lifeless body in the living room, where it appears he simply collapsed while walking to the water bowl. My poor, unbelievably sweet little "puppy" has gone to the Rainbow Bridge and I am absolutely heartbroken.



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so sorry. My parents recently lost their beloved dog... I know the grief.
Hi Wendy!
Thanks for your comment. After 13 years, Steeler was a bona fide member of the family. It's like losing a dear family member.
It's nice to "see" you again. Hope all is well with you and the family!
Post a Comment