Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Falling For Fall

Current Novel: "James and the Giant Peach" (Roald Dahl)

Extra Books: "Good Night Moon" (Margaret Wise Brown), "Zeit zum Schlafen, kleiner Zwerg" (Sabine Lohf), "Weißt du eigentlich, wie lieb ich dich habe?" (Sam McBratney), "How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed?" (Della Ross Ferreri)



I just love fall! It really is the perfect compromise between the sweltering heat of summer and the freezing cold of winter. Right now the leaves are changing into various shades of red, orange and yellow and the chilly autumn air is blowing carelessly through the many open windows in the house. What a fun time of year! Since I didn't begin this blog until after Halloween, I'm posting a couple of pictures of Annabelle's first Halloween here:




She was the most adorable leopard I've ever seen! We don't do the whole "trick-or-treating" thing, and Annabelle would be too young for that anyway, so we went to our church for their annual "Fall Festival" which is a safe alternative to Halloween anyway. A lot of churches have festivals like this, and we go every year. We stayed for a little while, then I drove Gabby and a local South Korean exchange student (with Annabelle in tow) to the mall for their "Malloween" where kids in costume can go from store to store collecting candy. The teens had a lot of fun, although they complained that they got the "crummy" candy (i.e. hard candies and generic stuff), while the younger kids got the "good stuff" (i.e. chocolate in the form of Snickers, Reese's, etc.) Before we started going to the Fall Festivals, I used to hand out Halloween pencils, with some sort of Halloweenish topper covering the eraser. My sister hands out small containers of Play-Dough. I simply can't get into the whole candy thing. There is so much fat and sugar already added to our daily food, why compound the problem with 12 more pounds of sugar? Needless to say, my house was never one of the popular ones at Halloween, usually leaving me with a couple dozen pencils leftover every year! And I never had any repeat trick-or-treaters...*SIGH* Oh well.


Annabelle has developed some amazing bodily self control while in her exersaucer. When I first started putting her in this thing about 2 weeks ago, she couldn't stay in there for very long because her little body would flail around endlessly. She would laugh and have a good time in there, but it made me so nervous! Then I started stuffing a pillow behind her back, to give her more control of her body. That would work for a little while, till the pillow popped out. Now, I've noticed, she flails around a LOT less than she used to, and is able to hold on to the toys and bring them up to her mouth. She still is not reaching out and grabbing things yet, but she will flop her arms around and grab onto anything that gets into her path. She is good at keeping herself steady and absolutely LOVES being in her exersaucer! I guess this is all part of her gaining her independence. While she is in her exersaucer, she is able to hold onto both the seal toy and the lion toy, and proceed to flip the "pages" in the little circus book that is situated between the seal and the lion. It is amazing to watch! My little girl is already showing a preference for books! It does a mama proud!






Annabelle and I are still reading "James and the Giant Peach" together and are now at the part where James has ingeniously roped 502 seagulls (with the silkworm's and spider's help!) and is preparing for them to carry the peach out of the shark infested water. The poor earthworm was used as bait. The plan appears to be a success, but I won't know for sure until we continue reading later on today. Last night while I was reading Annabelle's bedtime stories, she managed to grab one of the books out of my hand and actually started flipping the pages herself! I'm so thrilled at the way she's developing!










I'm actually looking forward to the changes coming up.....when she learns to sit up, crawl, walk, etc. She'll be starting solid food pretty soon, so that will be another adventure that I am eagerly awaiting.

3 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

I love the Halloween costume. My Annabelle was a ladybug (as I found one at a church consignment sale for $2). She does look very interested in the books you are reading! That is great. Check out the side of my blog for some websites for homeschooling. My mom had sent some to me a few months ago, and I've started "The Letter of the Week" one. You may have something you like better, so if you do, let me know. But, I found this website helpful to find different books, poems, art work and music. Are you using the flash cards from the website you have listed on your blog?

Jodi said...

I WANTED my Annabelle to be a ladybug too, but the only costume I could find was WAAAAAAY too big for her, so I had to settle for something smaller that would fit her better. My two choices were a pumpkin and the pink leopard. Maybe next year I can find a better-fitting ladybug costume. I'm going to look into that website you have listed on your blog...I love looking at homeschooling stuff! Yes, I'm doing the "Brainition" kit with Annabelle right now and she seems to really get into it...she's really interested in books right now and the words in these flash books are very big, so she can "read" them easier. It's been fun for us, but I *AM* going to check out the site you listed too. Thanks for letting me know!!

Mommy Belle said...

Old Navy is a great place to look for Halloween costumes. The one I had gotten from the consignment sale was from Old Navy originally. It is funny that you wanted her to be a ladybug...I had actually seen the costume you got before Halloween, and I almost bought it even though I already had the ladybug costume, but I changed my mind because I didn't want the added expense considering I got the ladybug costume for only $2. I'm rather frugal! :)

Question for you...how are you responding within your own blog to the comments that I make? I was trying to figure out how to respond to your comments from my blog, but I don't know how. I got an e-mail showing that you had responded to my comment within your own blog.

As for the recipe, I would LOVE to have another good recipe, and we love sour cream too!