Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Joy of Learning

Annabelle and I enjoy reading a Flash Book together...and....



Annabelle stares intently at the apple explosion in her Dr. Seuss book.




Current Novel: "James and the Giant Peach" (Roald Dahl)

Flash Books: "The Apple Tree", "Eat an Apple", "Crisscross Applesauce"

Extra Books: "Ten Apples up on Top" (Dr. Seuss), "Katis riesengroße Reise" (Birte Müller)


It was another fun day for us, with Annabelle being in a bright, happy mood. She seems to really love books, which makes me undeniably proud! I have been a die hard bibliophile my whole life, so I guess I'm not really surprised at Annabelle's interest in books. It seems to me that most children have an innate fascination of books which can, unfortunately, be squelched by excessive amounts of television. Instead of going off into my anti-TV tirade, I'll just brag about my little girl. :-)


We read a little more from "James and the Giant Peach", which is turning out to be a cute story. I never read this one as a child, but if I had I believe I would have loved it. Right now we are at the part where James has just crawled inside the peach and is meeting the giant insects for the first time, mistakenly believing that he is going to be their dinner.


In picking our Flash Books for the day, I decided to keep with the produce theme of "James and the Giant Peach", so I picked out three apple themed Flash Books. Annabelle really loves these Flash Books and attempts to grab them whenever they appear to be within her reach. She watched, fascinated, as the words flashed before her eyes. She is still too young to imitate the fingerplays, but I did the "Crisscross Applesauce" fingerplay to her (tickling her in the process!) and she got a big kick out of it. It's an incredible blessing to see such innocence and playfulness in this tiny gift from God. What fun we have when we read together! :-)


And in keeping with the produce theme of the apple Flash Books, we also read "Ten Apples up on Top" by the great Dr. Seuss. I never had any Dr. Seuss books as a kid, so I guess I am trying to make up for it with my daughter....she has no less than 2 dozen of them! Our final book, "Katis riesengroße Reise" had nothing to do with apples, but I am attempting to expose Annabelle to foreign languages and I am doing it in the best way I know how....through books. We have an extensive collection of foreign language literature in various genres, reading levels and languages, which I hope Annabelle will be able to read on her own one day. I guess only time will tell if that happens.

No comments: