Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Who I Am

Since I am new here, I thought I'd introduce myself and explain why I'm here in an effort to meet people who are here for the same reasons I am. I am Jodi...originally from Florida but now living in Arkansas. I am a stay-at-home mom to four-month-old Annabelle, and I have a 15 year old daughter, Gabriella, who attends a local public high school. After seeing everything that is going on in the public school system (and being a product of the system myself), I have decided to homeschool Annabelle. This blog is a record of my homeschooling journey and I'm hoping to meet some friends along the way who happen to be on the same journey. Traveling is always nicer with a friend. :-)

A little bit about myself and my family: I am a freelance translator, translating mostly medical and educational documents from either German or Russian into English. I love foreign languages and have a good working knowledge of French, Spanish and Latin as well. I know some basic phrases in Cantonese and Korean, although conversation in those languages is absolutely out of the question! :-) I work from home (usually in my pajamas in the kitchen!) and spend every free minute I have playing with my little girl. I hope to instill a love of languages in my daughter, as I feel that it is very important in this extremely global society. My husband is a computer programmer for a very, very, VERY large corporation and my older daughter is your typical teenager. We are a relatively "normal" family, all things considered.

My hobbies are, in order: foreign languages (this includes reading, writing and speaking them), photography (I never leave the house without my camera), and creative writing (I enter every poetry contest I can find). I read A LOT, always have, and I honestly can't ever remember a time when I didn't know how to read. My mother tells me that I was reading at three years old. I never even remember learning *HOW* to read...I've just always known how to for as long as my memory goes back. There aren't a lot of "modern" (the last 10 years or so) books that I've found that I enjoy, but there are a few. I admit it, I'm a Harry Potter fan, nothing I can do about that. Mostly, though, I enjoy the "classics", but will read anything I manage to get my grubby little paws on. (I enjoy the books more if they are written in a foreign language!) I also enjoy reading to my daughter, even though she isn't old enough to understand what I'm doing. After reading "The Read Aloud Handbook" (outstanding book, by the way!) by Jim Trelease, I'm convinced that reading to my four month old is NOT a waste of time! We are currently reading "James and the Giant Peach" together (well, I'm doing most of the reading!) as well as working on Flash Books. The Flash Books are nursery rhymes and they are designed to stimulate babies' minds, helping them learn to read at a young age. Since I began reading at a young age, I want to do this for my daughter as well. We worked on the "transportation" Flash Books today: "Airplane", "Choo Choo Train", "As I Travel" and "Zoom Zoom Zoom". She is really enjoying them and it gives me a fantastic opportunity to bond with her. She is such a happy baby!


As for photography, my daughter is my favorite subject to photograph although she isn't always the most cooperative! I love going on vacation because it gives me an opportunity to take pictures of things I don't get to see at home. One day when you have tons of time, ask me about the photographs from my summer abroad in Germany! :-)

I love to write poetry and have loved it since high school. I have to admit I'm hooked on MagPo (magnetic poetry) and love to play around with those little magnets. I am addicted to poetry contests and one day I dream of translating a collection of poetry from an up-and-coming hotshot from Russia or Germany.

We are a non-television-watching family. We own a set, but choose not to have cable and because of it, can't get all the "latest and greatest" TV shows. We don't miss it. Not one iota. In fact, we are so much happier without it. We have a DVD player and watch our favorite shows or movies on DVDs, but no cable. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can adjust to life without the boob tube.

Well, this is me and my family. Feel free to write to me, but please give me time to respond. I'm new to Blogspot and am still trying to maneuver my way around here and figure out how everything works! :-) God bless.

1 comment:

Mommy Belle said...

Hi there! I just wanted to say hello. I actually just started blogging about my 12 month old daughter in November as well. I am a stay-at-home mom too (in Georgia), and I commend you for planning to homeschool your daughter. My daugher's name is also Annabelle, and my Dad actually found your blog and e-mailed the link to me (he was apparently searching for the name Annabelle). It is interesting to follow other Annabelle's out there in the world! If you get a chance, check out my blog at mommybelle.blogspot.com.

Your Annabelle is adorable, and she looks very attentive for a 4 month old!