For our Fourth of July holiday, the hubby, the girls and I went up to our church for our annual FourthFest.....complete with BBQ, ice cream, and fireworks. The weather couldn't have been more beautiful and it was a great opportunity to just relax and mingle with friends. Annabelle seemed to really enjoy the change of scenery although by the end of the night (as the fireworks were starting) she was getting a bit cranky. We stayed way past her bedtime, so it's no wonder she was so tired. As tired as she was, though, she behaved like a champ! She was neither impressed with nor scared of the fireworks. She didn't really pay any attention to them at all...she was more interested in the rocks on the ground. We tried sitting in the grass, but Annabelle let us know in no uncertain terms that she didn't like the grass. So we were left with sitting on the concrete and it took every bit of energy I had left to keep Annabelle from putting handfuls of rocks in her mouth.
While we were at the FourthFest, Annabelle ate a popsicle for the very first time. What fun that was! I couldn't get her to hold the stick, so she just grabbed on tight to the popsicle and just chowed down. There was popsicle juice dripping everywhere and it took me forever to get it off her! It was a hilarious sight to see!
Annabelle enjoyed sitting on the curb "like a big girl".
Here she is, NOT enjoying the grass!
Sweets for the sweet:
With big sis Gabby:
The music was great too!
A fantastic fireworks show ended the night. The fireworks were MUCH better than how they appear in the pictures! :-)
3 comments:
My Annabelle actually hated the grass until this past weekend when she finally decided to venture in it to smell the flowers without any shoes on.
If we start getting ready to walk outside, and if she happens to go to the door without her shoes on, she'll insist that she needs shoes! "Shooos!" she says. Honestly, she usually cannot stand to even get her feet dirty, but she really disliked the grass before.
The pics with the popsicle are great! I have actually never given Annabelle a popsicle. I've given her ice cream, but I hadn't really thought of a popsicle. As a child, we always had those around when we were sick (which I loved), so I just never thought of letting Annabelle try one now. I bet she would hold it by the popsicle too instead of the stick though.
They are so funny to watch!
Also, your oldest daughter is a beautiful girl as well. She looks like a very sweet young lady. Sweet 16? I know she must be excited. Of course, that is probably bitter sweet for you.
If you get a chance on a future blog entry, I'd be interested to know why you've decided to homeschool Annabelle. I remember you mentioning that you wanted to homeschool her after seeing things first hand with your oldest daughter.
I have actually talked to my husband about homeschooling, but he is very against it for some reason. I think he just believes the negative things that other people say. Of course, I don't know if I have it in me either though.
Right now, I'm not too interesting in the whole preschool idea (even though my husband is). I think it all comes from how you were raised. I never went to preschool, and I think I turned out alright.
Of course, I've learned after having Annabelle to "Never say never!" Does that saying make any sense? :)
Hmmmm.....maybe both our Annabelles are just a little too young to be able to really appreciate the grass?! I'm going to keep introducing my Annabelle to the grass (and the outdoors in general) in the hope that she will come to love and appreicate the beauty of nature.
I was actually VERY hesitant about giving Annabelle that popsicle, but they were handing out free ice cream and when I went up to collect ours (it was one per person and I went up to get mine & hubby's) the woman passing them out knew me.....and then gave me a popsicle "for the little one". So Annabelle's popsicle was basically an afterthought and the only reason she even got one is because I was given one to give to her. I'm really glad I gave it to her, though, because it was so much fun to watch her eat it! She can't eat ice cream (she has a dairy allergy right now that the doctor says she should outgrow) so I figured one popsicle would be a nice treat for her.
Thanks for the compliments on Gabby. Yeah, it is a bit bittersweet to have one turn 16 the day before the other turns 1. I do get some raised eyebrows when people find that out! Believe it or not, though, those large gaps between siblings actually run in my family, so nobody in my family is surprised because half of them have either children or siblings that are a decade or more apart in age. I depserately want one more child, but I can't wait another 15 years to have one. If I do, that third child and I will probably both be in diapers at the same time! :-)
I would be absolutely THRILLED to do an entry on why I've decided to homeschool Annabelle. I will do that very soon! Believe it or not, I was also VERY opposed to homeschooling and was a very vocal opponent of it. I told everybody who would listen to me, what a horrible idea I thought it was, and I would also equate it to child neglect. However......after seeing what my daughter is going through in the public school system and hearing the stories she tells me about the things I can't see......well, I have done a complete turn-around and now I will not allow Annabelle to ever set foot in a public school. My husband can take it or leave it. Since I will be Annabelle's primary teacher, hubby has left it up to me, although I think secretly he is very glad I've decided to homeschool as well. I am very fortunate, too, in that my parents want to get involved in Annabelle's education. My dad wants to be her history and government teacher, and would like to teach her Latin when she's a bit older. My mother wants to teach her Spanish, and a good friend of mine is also willing to help out there. Hubby will be her math teacher. I will take care of science, language arts, German and Russian, and Annabelle will be enrolled in music and dance classes when she gets older. I am 100% confident that we can do this and I am actually VERY excited about it....but that's a story for another blog entry! :-)
(I need to start proofreading my comments before I leave them so I don't have to delete the ones that have multiple typos in them!)
Post a Comment