Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Road to Independence

Every single day that passes represents one more step on the road to Annabelle's independence. The day before yesterday, Annabelle insisted on feeding herself. She has been self-feeding for awhile now, but it's always been little (non-messy!) finger foods that I have broken down into bite-sized pieces and laid in front of her. This time, however, she grabbed for the spoon and insisted on feeding herself. My presence at her high chair was evidently no longer needed. I don't know if any of the food actually made it into her mouth, but it made Annabelle very happy, so I just let it go. I'm *STILL* cleaning spaghetti sauce out of the tile grout in the kitchen!


























And my baby has started walking!! She hasn't quite mastered this difficult skill yet, but she is taking 2-3 steps at a time, repeatedly. She falls, stands right back up (without holding onto anything!) and attempts these steps again. It is now just a matter of time. I am so excited to be able to witness this milestone and Annabelle, obviously very proud of herself, will be off and running in no time flat!

4 comments:

Mommy Belle said...

That last picture is too cute! My Annabelle still looks like that after meals (sometimes), and I get strange looks from people as they take a napkin and wipe my own daughter's face for me. I've always let her "play" with her food because I think they learn that way. Some people cannot stand anything on a child's face though. Now she is learning to use her napkin to clean her face, and she'll ask for the napkin when she is dirty.

Jodi said...

I'm a little bit OCD, so it drives me crazy when her face looks like this, but I put up with it. Like you, I do believe babies learn when they get to experiment with their food like this. Annabelle throws a fit, though, when I try to clean her face, so she goes around looking like this on a regular basis. She doesn't like her face to be touched. I hope she outgrows that.

Mommy Belle said...

What is it with babies not liking their faces washed? My Annabelle still cannot stand to have her face washed. I've tried making it a game where I make funny noises as I wash her nose, lips, etc., but that was only funny the first day!

Of course, she's tried to wash my face for me as well, and I wasn't a big fan of it either, so I guess I don't much blame her.

Jodi said...

I've tried making funny noises too and, like you, that only worked the first time I tried it. Annabelle caught on after that, so now her face is constantly dirty. I just can't fight her on it anymore! The way I figure it, if she constantly goes around with a dirty face, there's no question that she's at least eating well! :-)