......if I ever even *THINK* about having double back-to-back birthday parties again? We had Annabelle's first birthday party and Gabby's Sweet Sixteen party (two milestone birthdays nonetheless!) this past weekend (Annabelle's on Saturday and Gabby's on Sunday) and I am totally exhausted (as well as broke!) All in all, though, it really was a fun weekend......just a bit much for one weekend. I would have preferred to have had these parties on separate weekends, but my sister and her 5-year-old son (whom I haven't seen since he was 3 months old!) came to visit for a week, and we wanted both of them to be here for both parties. It was nice to see them again after five years. Time really is too short to spend it so far away from our loved ones. Hubby and I are already trying to figure out if we might be able to make it over there to Georgia (where they live) next year for a visit. I love road trips, but have never taken one with an infant before, so I'm not sure how that would work......but I'm trying to figure something out.
We had Annabelle's party at Chick-fil-A. All in all, there were 9 other children there (if you include my older daughter and her friend, who sometimes act the same age as Annabelle & her friends, there were actually 11 children there!) Two of the children showed up 10 minutes before the party ended, but it was nice that they came. Annabelle received SO MANY wonderful gifts, most of which are battery operated (thanks a lot guys!) Up until now, Annabelle has not had a single battery operated toy. That's not necessarily because I have anything personal against battery operated toys, I've just always opted for the non-battery operated ones for some reason or another. I guess I always suspect, somewhere deep in the back of my mind, that battery operated toys are more likely to break.....or just suddenly stop functioning when the batteries die. The second scenario is not necessarily a problem unless I have no spare batteries to replace the dead ones with. Determined not to let that happen, I carefully checked all the toys to see what size spare batteries I should keep on hand. Wouldn't you know it.....every single one of these battery operated toys requires a different size battery! Go figure. Hmmmmm, perhaps *that* is the reason I have yet to purchase a battery operated toy for Annabelle?
Needless to say, I have dozens and dozens of pictures from this past week. With my sister in town and both birthday parties, it has been kind of a week-long holiday for me and I am currently working on bringing myself back down to reality. I am going to post some, but not all (There are WAAAAAAY too many!) pictures from the parties, as well as some misc. photos, but I am going to post them all under their own separate blog entry. This way, I can stop this entry here and not worry about it turning into 4 pages of rambling nonsense that nobody wants to finish reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I cannot imagine having two big birthday parties in one weekend either!
That is neat that you got to see your sister after such a long time! Time really does fly by though.
If you do head down to Georgia to see your sister, you should let me know when you are coming, and we can let the Annabelle's meet up. I thought you had mentioned in a previous comment or blog entry that your sister lived in Lawrenceville (?). I grew up in Duluth, and we live near Atlanta now. So, we are also very close to the Lawrenceville area.
What a great idea! Getting the Annabelles together would be so much fun! My sister actually lives in Lilburn, not Lawrenceville. I'm pretty sure Lilburn is near Atlanta....I vaguely recall moments of sheer terror driving down the Atlanta freeway, praying to God that the lane I was in wouldn't change directions while I was still in it! I'm pretty sure I was thinking a couple of other thoughts about Atlanta's ummm, "unique" highway system, but they aren't fit to repeat on this G-rated website. :-) In all seriousness, though, driving in Atlanta really is a terrifying experience for those of us who aren't used to multi-directional lanes on a 5-lane super highway. After driving Atlanta's super highways and surviving, I was ready to climb Mt. Everest. Yeah, I thought if I could survive driving in Atlanta, I could do anything!
I am planning on driving out there to see my sister sometime within the next year. Life is too short to spend it so far away from our loved ones. All of my friends and family members live so far away, so I am going to make a conscious effort to keep in touch more. I have several friends who live out in Georgia, so I have ample reasons to travel out in that direction. It would be super if we could meet somewhere in Atlanta and let the Annabelles play together. I'll let you know when I have more concrete plans. Thanks for making that suggestion, I think it's a fantastic idea! :-)
Yes, Lilburn is very close to Atlanta too. Actually, I think it is right next to Lawrenceville, so the names run together. :)
If you really don't like driving in Atlanta because of the speed and many lanes, just make sure you hit it in rush hour! Then you'll be wishing you could take the risks again with the super highway. :)
The only other place my hubby swears he'll never drive again is New York City! Now those people drive crazy! We had an ambulance pull up at an intersection with us when we had the green light. We stopped to let the ambulance through. Would you believe that the ambulance would NOT go AND we got honked at because we were sitting at the light waiting on the ambulance whose lights were blinking and horn was blowing. Unbelievable!
If it makes you feel any better, I'm a native to the Atlanta area, and I still get nervous driving on some roads, and if it isn't a road that I use often, I am bound to get lost. I call hubby very often and say "Should I take I-75 north or south?"
Just let me know when you think you'll be here, and we'll plan to meet up. That would be fun!
I will definitely let you know when we will be there. I'm thinking maybe later this year or sometime next year. It will most likely be when the weather is a little bit cooler...I can't imagine going on vacation in the heat of summer.
My sister said something about Atlanta removing those crazy "multi directional" traffic lanes. I guess the lanes will stay one direction now, instead of switching directions in the middle of the day?! That would definitely make *me* feel better, but I don't live there! Wonder how the residents will like that?!?
I agree with your husband...NYC is definitely a crazy city to drive in, BUT a crazier place to drive is ITALY. Those people are NUTS!! My pen pal and I were stopped at a red light (red lights are optional in Italy) and a car pulled up behind us....went around us via the sidewalk...and proceeded to drive right through the red light. This was actually a common practice in Italy. Most roads (that we drove on) didn't even have any lines painted on them, even though they were clearly 3 or 4 lane roads (not just little measly 2 lane country roads!) People totally ignore the lines in parking lots as well and just leave their cars wherever. I flat out REFUSE to drive in Italy! I can't believe there aren't bodies scattered all over the streets, the way those people drive!
Post a Comment